Saturday, April 11, 2009

Wake

Wake Wake by Lisa McMann

Book 33 of 100 for the 100+ Reading Challenge
Book 9 of 12 for the 2009 YA Challenge
Book 16 of 25 for the Support Your Local Library Challenge

Book 2 of 5 for the Once Upon a Time III Challenge

Awards: YALSA Top Ten; YALSA Quick Picks for Reluctant YA

rating: 4 of 5 stars

As you can see by the number of reviews I have attached to this post, Wake is a popular book. And for good reason. I read it in one sitting and was glued to my seat.

Janie is a young child when she realizes she gets sucked into the dreams of other people. As a teenager, it gets almost unbearable as she is around people all the time who are sleeping--at home, at work and at school. She sees not only people's hopes and desires, but also their worst nightmares.

This YA fantasy/paranormal romance book does contain a fair amount of expletives and sexual content, so it is more appropriate for the older teen reader. Wake is told in a short and choppy style that moved quickly. The only thing that bothered me about that is that sometimes I lost track of the dates and had to flip back and forth to remember where I was in time. There were some implausibility factors in the plot that bugged me a little. But when dealing with fantasy books, I'm much more forgiving about that sort of thing.

Also reviewed by:
Let me know if I missed yours!

4 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I've read lots of great reviews of this one. I'm not big on fantasy, but I'd like to try this one.

Tasha said...

This was definitely a fun one.

Ladytink_534 said...

As soon as the third book in this trilogy comes out I plan to read them all in one sitting.

Anonymous said...

Ladytink has the right idea. I wish I would have waited before starting this series. I know that FADE is out, but then I'll be waiting for the last book. When series is this much fun that can be a long wait. Sigh.

I had to flip back to the dates, too. But I enjoyed the choppy writing style.