Friday, April 10, 2009

The Adoration of Jenna Fox

The Adoration of Jenna Fox The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson

Book 32 of 100 for the 100+ Reading Challenge
Book 8 of 12 for the 2009 YA Challenge
Book 15 of 25 for the Support Your Local Library Challenge


Awards: Golden Kite Honor Recipient 2009 Fiction; SLJ Best Book; VOYA Award/Honor; Kirkus Editors Choice; YALSA Best Books for YA

rating: 4 of 5 stars

Seventeen year old Jenna Fox wakes up after a year of being in a coma. She can't remember most things, but what she discovers about her time asleep will force her to come to terms with the person she is.

I don't want to give too much away, but this book is apocalyptic YA science fiction with soul. The prose is sparse, the poetry is inviting, and the ethical dilemmas are intriguing. It's a book where you truly see all sides of a debate, and nothing is black and white. It's about finding a personal identity intermixed with those we love.

This book is clever and unique. I wasn't totally thrilled with the epilogue, but overall I would definitely recommend this for 9th grade and up.

Also reviewed by:
Please let me know if I have missed yours!

6 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Sounds like a book that makes you think - what could be better in YA fiction? Great review.

Becky said...

Sounds rather intriguing!

alisonwonderland said...

i won a copy of this one from becky. i'm eager to get to it.

Kelly said...

What a great description! Apocalyptic YA science fiction with soul...you've convinced me!

Anna said...

This one's on my shelf. I've heard great things about it and can't wait to read it. Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Serena said...

This is one of my favorite books. I really loved it. Pearson does an excellent job showing all sides of the debate. I added your review to my post.