Saturday, April 18, 2009

Unwind

Unwind Unwind by Neal Shusterman

Book 36 of 100 for the 100+ Reading Challenge
Book 18 of 25 for the Support Your Local Library Challenge
Book 10 of 12 for the 2009 YA Challenge


Awards: YALSA Top Ten; YALSA Best Books for YA; YALSA Quick Picks for Reluctant YA

rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book had me freaked out in an "I can't believe this but I can't stop reading this!" kind of way. This YA sci-fi dystopian novel set in the future when a second Civil War has been waged and abortion is now illegal. However, teens between the age of 13 and 18 can be "unwound" and their individual parts harvested completely and used in transplants.

This book follows three Unwinds: Connor's parents signed the Unwind order because of some trouble he was in at home. Lev is being tithed by his parents, as a tenth child. And Risa is a ward of the state, which will no longer afford to keep her. As circumstances force them together, their survival becomes interdependent.

This book is definitely creepy, but is also a fast-paced entertaining read with some great plot twists. This would be a great book for teens and their parents/teachers to discuss, and provides an interesting look at the abortion debate.

Also reviewed by:
Please let me know if I missed yours!

3 comments:

Joy Renee said...

based on this I've put Unwind by Neal Shusterman on my wishlist. I've got a taste for dystopia but only when it is done well.

You appear to be having a great read-a-thon.

Read in joy.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for linking! I like the way you summed it up in the first line, I totally agree :)

Corinne said...

LOVED IT :)