Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Loser's Guide to Life and Love

The Loser's Guide to Life and Love: A Novel The Loser's Guide to Life and Love: A Novel by A. E. Cannon

Book 39 of 100 for the 100+ Reading Challenge
Book 12 of 12 for the 2009 YA Challenge


rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is a cute modern take on A Midsummer Night's Dream set in Salt Lake City. The novel is written in the four distinct voices from the love quadrangle: Ed McIff (otherwise known as Sergio), Scout (Ed's best friend, who happens to be a girl, and fellow video store employee), Quark (Ed's very tall and nerdy neighbor), and Ellie (the gorgeous new girl in town desperate for friends).

I think Cannon did a great job with her four voices and they helped the book clip along at a fast pace. This would make a great read-along with the original Shakespeare that I think teens would appreciate. Nothing too deep here--just fun mind candy that's easily gobbled up in a day.

Also reviewed by:
Please let me know if I missed yours!

6 comments:

bermudaonion said...

That sounds like a great way to help kids appreciate Shakespeare more. Thanks for the review.

Anonymous said...

Great review. I have given you an award on my blog http://thebookhive.blogspot.com/2009/04/awards-ceremony.html

Missy B. said...

Hi Tricia: Please visit my page, I have given you an award! :)

jijesh said...

9/10.. this is a gr8 one..

Toni said...

Sounds like a good one. I like "mind candy that's gobbled up in a day."

Jill said...

This sounds like fun. I love A Midsummer Night's Dream!