Saturday, April 18, 2009

Poison Study

Poison Study (Study, Book 1) Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder

Book 35 of 100 for the 100+ Reading Challenge
Book 17 of 25 for the Support Your Local Library Challenge
Book 3 of 5 for the Once Upon a Time Challenge


Awards: Compton Crook Award for Best First Novel; Salt Lake Co. Library's Reader's Choice award; 2005 Booksense pick

rating: 5 of 5 stars

I finished the majority of this book this morning as my first book finished for the 24 hour read-a-thon. I knew it would be good for me to start in the middle of a book I was already interested in, because mornings are not a good time for me! I woke up excited to finish this one.

Poison Study is the first novel in a fantasy trilogy. Yelena is in prison for killing the son of a powerful district commander. On the day before she is due to be executed, she is given a choice:

Die in the morning as scheduled
or
become the head commander's food taster,
risking death by poison.

This is a fabulous fantasy book that I would certainly recommend, to even those wary of fantasy. Is action-packed, intellectual, emotional, and definitely romantic. My only slight gripe is that is took me a little while to get hooked into this one. But, once I did, there was no turning back. Yelena is a spitfire heroine and I can't wait to see what happens next.

Disclaimer: I'm hesitant to call this book YA--it is in the YA section of one of my libraries, but in the adult section of another. I would suggest this book for those 16+.

Also reviewed by:
Let me know if I missed yours!

3 comments:

alisonwonderland said...

i've had this one on my to-read list since my sister recommended it to me. hopefully i'll get to it sometime soone.

Britt said...

Yeah, I'm not sure I'd call it YA, but it's really good!

Melissa said...

Oops. Thought it was YA and let my 12 yo read it. It was on my list, but I wonder what she got out of it...(it was shelved in the YA section of our library, but is in the adult section of the bookstore...)