Thursday, January 21, 2010

That Summer

That Summer That Summer by Sarah Dessen

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

That Summer is Sarah Dessen's first novel, written in 1996. It is also part of the mash-up with Someone Like You that made up the movie How to Deal starring Mandy Moore. I didn't love Someone Like You, and I've tended to like Dessen's newer works better than her older novels. So the fact that I really enjoyed this one delighted me.

Haven is a 15-year old who is having the worst summer of her life. She's experiencing a growth spurt that puts her at nearly 6 feet tall, her sister is getting married, her dad is getting remarried, and her best friend has turned into a totally different person than she used to be all because of a guy she fell in love with at 4-H camp. Everything around her is changing and Haven doesn't feel like anyone understands how much it is affecting her. That is, until her sister's ex-boyfriend, Sumner Lee, shows back up in town.

This book is less of a typical Dessen love story, and more about sisterhood. You really sense how Haven is at such an awkward stage--torn between wanting to be independent, but realizing more than ever how much she needs the people around her. I thought this book was really sweet and I even shed a tear or two at the end.

Also reviewed by:
Book 8 of 100 for the 100+ Reading Challenge
Book 6 of 50 for the YA Reading Challenge
Book 6 of 50 for the RYOB Challenge 

Source: BookMooch

6 comments:

Nicole (Linus's Blanket) said...

Sarah Dessen is someone I have been hearing about for a long time but just haven't had the opportunity to read her work. I have a copy of Lock and Key and I plan on reading that this year. I don't know if it is older or newer, but I really hope that I like it.

bermudaonion said...

I haven't read any of Dessen's work, but it really sounds like I need to.

Gerbera Daisy Mom said...

I've granted you an award! Enjoy!

http://gerberadaisydiaries.blogspot.com/2010/01/one-lovely-blog-award.html

J. Kaye said...

With as much YA as I read, I can't believe I haven't read a book by Sarah Dessen. I need to this year!

Shweta said...

I read this 2 years back but still remember the good feeling on reading it. She is one of my fav YA authors

Heather @ Book Addiction said...

That Summer is the book that introduced me to my love of Sarah Dessen, I'm so glad you liked it. Thanks for the link love!