Sunday, January 24, 2010

Receive Me Falling

Receive Me Falling Receive Me Falling by Erika Robuck

Receive Me Falling is a self-published book by first-time author Erika Robuck. I rarely read books that are self-published, but the story sounded fascinating and it has gotten some good reviews from other bloggers. The book's chapters alternate between the modern-day and the voices from the past.

Meg is a smart, attractive woman who comes from a wealthy family in the D.C. area. On the night of her engagement party, her parents die in a car crash. She discovers that among her inheritance is a plantation house named Eden, located on the island of Nevis in the Caribbean. In desperate need of some alone time, Meg decides to go visit the island and learn what she can about the house, which is supposedly haunted.

Catherine is also a smart, attractive, wealthy young woman. She is the only child of a sugar plantation owner on the island of Nevis during the 19th century before slavery was abolished. She hates the way the slaves are treated and she does everything in her power to make their lives better. But she knows it isn't enough. When a young abolitionist comes to the island, she realizes that she must make some tough choices that will affect the future of Eden forever.

This is a tough book to rate. On the one hand, it has a great plot. I enjoyed getting to know the characters and the lush descriptions of the island make me want to catch the next plane out of here. On the other hand, the book is in serious need of some editing. There were spelling errors, homonym issues, and missing punctuation. The writing was a little choppy in parts and sometimes the story dragged a little because Meg would discover the exact same things that had just happened to Catherine in the chapter before. That said, this book tackles a time and place in history that little is written about and I feel like I'm better educated for having read the book.

Also reviewed by:
Did I miss yours?

Book 9 of 100 for the 100+ Reading Challenge
Book 5 of 50 for the New Author Challenge
Book 3 of 12 for the Historical Fiction Challenge
Book 7 of 50 for the RYOB Challenge 

Source: Booklogged via BookMooch

2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

It's too bad it wasn't edited better. Spelling errors, etc drive me crazy, so I think I'll skip this one. Thanks for your review.

Hallie said...

I don't agree...the story was engaging and the plot was kept me interested the whole way. I read it on Kindle for IPhone and I didn't notice any spelling errors or other editing issues.

I think it is a superb first novel and worth taking a look at.