Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Calamity Jack

Calamity Jack Calamity Jack by Shannon Hale, Dean Hale, and Nathan Hale (ill.)

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I've mentioned before that Coco loves graphic novels. She has been dying to buy Rapunzel's Revenge and this recently released sequel. So she knew exactly what she was going to do with a Christmas gift card she received to B&N from her Gramma.

I'll say straight up that Coco loved it. This book continues the adventures of western heroine Rapunzel, but we learn a lot more about her love interest. Jack is a city boy with a good heart, but he's also a criminal with bad luck. (He reminded me a lot of Aladdin!) After inadvertently growing a beanstalk, killing a giant, he escapes to the West.  Fortunately, for him he has the golden goose in tow. With Rapunzel he turns his life around and heads back to the city to find his mother and show her that she really did raise a good boy. Instead, he arrives to a city destroyed by giant ants and finds his mother is being held captive. Together, Jack and Rapunzel must save the day.

Graphic novels are not exactly my thing, but this was a fun way to spend an hour and bond with my daughter. The illustrations are fabulous but I didn't find the story quite as engaging as I did when I read Rapunzel's Revenge. Still, reading graphic novels are a nice change of pace every once in awhile. Appropriate for 4th grade and up.

Also reviewed by:
Book 7 of 100 for the 100+ Reading Challenge
Book 12 of 25 for the MG Reading Challenge
Book 5 of 50 for the YA Reading Challenge 
Book 21 of 55 for the Countdown Challenge (2010)

Source: Borrowed from Coco. :)

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

The fact that your daughter loved it means a lot!