Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Someone Like You

Someone Like You (reissue) Someone Like You by Sarah Dessen

rating: 3 of 5 stars

Dessen takes this coming-of-age book in a somewhat different direction than The Truth About Forever...although we still have the basic good-girl-with-overbearing-mother-and-likes-bad-boy plot. Protagonist Halley finds herself grappling with setting her own moral boundaries, which are at odds with her mom and her best friend, Scarlett (who ironically happens to be pregnant) and are much more fluid than I would like to see them portrayed. I was definitely disappointed with some of the choices that Halley makes including sneaking around and lying to her parents and some drug and alcohol use all in the name of "finding herself".

I really wanted to like Halley, but she definitely aggravated me. I think that sometimes people have to make mistakes to learn a lesson, but a lot of times I just don't think that's the case at all.

I also found the ending a little too movie-esque (although this book along with That Summer was the basis for How to Deal).

Overall, I think Sarah Dessen is a great storyteller and I will definitely read more. But this one was like and not love for me.

Also reviewed by:

1 comment:

Corinne said...

yeah. I'm not giving up on her but I'm not falling in love yet