Sunday, August 19, 2007

A Walk in the Woods

I loved Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything. He just has a way of explaining difficult or bland concepts in a way that is interesting and amusing.

A Walk in the Woods is the story of Bryson's journey along the Appalachian Trail in the late 1990s. Interspersed with his travelogue are facts and figures about the flora and fauna, weather, National Park Service, mining, etc. etc. When I think I can't stand anymore trail talking, he gets down to facts and vice versa.

And, he's laugh out loud funny.
(I've kept Melanie, Dan and Corky entertained for days with my retellings.)

You'll find this book in the US travel section of the library (that's the 917 section thanks to Mr. Dewey), but it is NOT a travel book. It really is a book about America--understanding the geography and it's affect on us and our effect on it.

One caveat: I must give the language rating a strong PG-13.

Next up on my Bryson list: I'm a Stranger Here Myself.

No comments: