Thursday, August 30, 2007

Atonement

OK, so I really wanted to be able to like this book. But I read 135 pages and gave up. You will soon see this book in movie form starring Keira Knightley. Time Magazine selected this book as one of the top 100 novels since 1923, it has been named Best Book of the Year by numerous newspapers, and is a Booker Prize finalist. Alas, like so many of it's fellow esteemed books, this book was too dark and contained stuff I just didn't want to read.

The question in this book is whether or not a crime committed by a 13-year old girl can ever be atoned for. But, you know from the beginning this book is not going to end well (and it ends worse than I imagined).

I have to admit I read as much as I did because Ian McEwan is a fabulous writer. Brilliant literature perhaps, but I'm glad I read how it was going to end on Wikipedia before I continued on any further. Unfortunately, I think McEwan loves to explore the faces of evil a little more than I want to.

No comments: