Sunday, August 12, 2007

Eclipse

I enjoyed Stephenie Meyer's third book in the Twilight series much better than New Moon. Having said that, I certainly didn't hate New Moon. But, I'm not sure that I ever get over how much I love the first book in any series. Twilight is still my favorite.

As I've begun to notice how ridiculously popular these books are, I think Mormons need to be especially careful not to view these books as "safe, Mormon material" just because the author happens to be LDS. These books are recommended 9th grade and up by the School Library Journal, and there is good reason for that. Thematically these books require a more mature audience, and I think this is true even more for Eclipse than for the other two. Sexual themes are featured prominently in this book.

I'm certainly looking forward to the next installment (and possibly the last) in this series as well as Meyer's first adult science fiction novel, The Host, out in Spring 2008.

2 comments:

Linda Carter said...

trish,
thanks for no spoilers about eclipse on your blog.. I enjoyed New Moon, but definately Twilight was my favorite..I am in the middle of Eclipse. I had not seen or heard about The Host, thanks for mentioning it..

Josette said...

I only finished reading this book two nights ago. I enjoyed reading this book very much. Much more than New Moon which was too dragging for me. I can't decide if I like Twilight or Eclipse better. They're both just as good.

Here's my review of Eclipse.