Thursday, March 6, 2008

Lady Laura the Librarian

"A nation that does not read for itself cannot think for itself. And a nation that cannot think for itself risks losing both its identity and its freedom. Ray Bradbury was right when he said, 'You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.'

"Both reading and a love of reading are learned behaviors that should be taught at home and in schools. Like many of you in this room, I've spent my life in the company of good books, because my mother taught me to love them, and my teachers taught me to read them, and my library let me take them home free. Those early experiences had a profound impact on my life, and on my career as a public school teacher and librarian, and on my present work in the U.S. and around the world."--First Lady Laura Bush, speaking yesterday at the AAP annual meeting in New York City.

3 comments:

Patricia said...

Hey Tricia,

Thanks so much for keeping in touch on our family blog. Your blog is AMAZING and I want to be like you when I grow up. This collection of your literature is fantastic. How do you get all of this done with four small kids?? I will send your regards to Ali. The baby is due in four weeks.

nanamoo said...

thank you so much for those posting those inspiring words

Gramma Seguine said...

I like librarians, if not libraries.