Monday, February 4, 2008

Ophelia

It's been awhile since I've seen Hamlet (and I don't think I've ever read all of it) so this book based on Ophelia was a fresh new surprise. Voted one of the best teen reads of 2006 on teenreads.com, the author takes what Shakespeare has given us about Ophelia and expands her whole story, filling in all the details about a noble life in Denmark.

I definitely loved the romance of the first half, but then the book had a few slow moments for me in the second half. However, it all ended up how I wanted it to. Being that this is Lisa Klein's only novel, I think she has a promising future ahead of her. A nice, relaxing, enjoyable read, suitable for high school girls on up.

5 comments:

Danielle said...

I've never read Hamlet (I've been trying to read a Shakespeare play here and there)--but perhaps this year. This sounds like a fun book, however. I'll have to see if my library has it!

Tricia said...

Do check it out. This book makes for a nice change of pace. Let me know what you think!

Danielle said...

I requested it from the library and it is already waiting for me--that was fast! :)

Booklogged said...

Tricia, thanks for commenting on my blog. I was looking over your profile and reading some of your posts and thinking, "I wonder if she is LDS?" I was thinking so and then I saw your Gospel Study in the sidebar. Sure enough! Me, too. My first hint was: churchgoer, genealogist and 4 children in 9 years!

Anyway, I'm happy to make your acquaintance.

Tricia said...

Booklogged: I'm happy to have found your blog. It was actually 4 kids in 6 years--definitely LDS. :)