Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The Goose Girl

Based on the Brothers Grimm fairy tale by the same name, Shannon Hale has created a wonderful story that will appeal to both old and young. Princess Ani is thrust from the only home she has ever known and betrothed to a prince in a faraway land. A mutiny in the traveling party forces Ani to escape and hide her true identity. She becomes the goose girl to the king's geese and learns more about her inner strengths and powers.

This is one I would highly recommend. It's just a beautiful story with descriptions that make you want to go back and read the sentences twice. There are two other books in the series, Enna Burning and River Secrets, which are based off supporting characters from The Goose Girl.

5 comments:

Emilia said...

I didn't love it. But I really wanted to...and the sequels. I got part way through Enna Burning when I finally gave up. I just couldn't do it. Which is bizarre because I love YA fantasy (and I never stop reading a series!!! Is there an OCD for the reading of book series?) The story was to slow in unfolding for me. I'm enjoying The Princess Academy more.

Tricia said...

You know, I was talking to my sister about it yesterday and I was saying that even though I really liked it, I have no desire at the moment to read Enna Burning. I wonder why that is...

Booklogged said...

I loved the Goose Girl, but did like Princess Academy more. Enna Burning wasn't as good. I have River Secrets on my list to read, soon I hope.

Unknown said...

Princess Academy was wonderful and Goose Girl was lovely. Give me a YA fiction anytime.

Tricia said...

Booklogged: I look forward to your review of River Secrets.

Kayla: I'm becoming more and more a fan of YA lit. Let me know if you get into Ophelia.