Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The Saturday Big Tent Wedding Party

The Saturday Big Tent Wedding Party (No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency, #12)The Saturday Big Tent Wedding Party by Alexander McCall Smith

On the library stacks: Adult mystery fiction
Series: No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency #12

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Alexander McCall Smith published the first No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency book in 1998, the year I was married. Now on the 12th book, this is the one series that I look forward to each year and have read without fail.

In this relaxing mystery, Precious Ramotswe is confronted with a case where she doesn't like the person who has hired her for her detective work. She's also not sure she really wants the answers she needs to solve the case. Her assistant, Grace Makutsi, is planning her (Saturday Big Tent) wedding with stresses related to guests, food, and of course her shoes. And Charlie, the slacker mechanic (who is NEVER going to finish his apprenticeship) throws both the garage and the agency for a loop with his personal problems.

While the books in this series are fun light reading and not at all action packed, the prose is spare and to the point. The tone the author strikes about our human experience just really resonates with me. In the end, I just love my yearly pilgrimage to Botswana and I think this latest installment might be my favorite in the series. Read my reviews for book #9, #10 & #11 here, here and here.

Source: Borrowed

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

When I saw the title of your post, I thought you'd gone to a wedding. I never made it that far into this series - it's one I need to pick back up.