Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Beowulf

Beowulf: A New Verse TranslationBeowulf: A New Verse Translation by Unknown

AR Reading Level: 10.4
On the library stacks: Adult/YA Poetry

Beowulf is an ancient Anglo-Saxon poem set in Scandinavia. The hero, Beowulf, is a brave and gallant man who fights a monster named Grendel who has been threatening the king of the Danes. Once defeated, Grendel's mother comes back to wreak her revenge, and Beowulf is forced into her lair where he defeats her as well. Beowulf returned to his homeland and eventually becomes a king himself in Geatland. In his old age, he fights his last opponent--a dragon that has been terrorizing his people.

I actually enjoyed this! It was much more fast-paced readable than I was expecting. My incredible sister-in-law has translated this entire work herself and recommended this version for its more modern fluidity. Heaney's version has the original Old English printed on the facing page, which is interesting to see. I think it might be fun to read this with my kids someday, but I'm also looking forward to discussing this with my online book club. I sure there is much that was lost on me, but I'm glad that I can say I have finally read Beowulf.

Also reviewed by: Rebecca Reads ~ Your link here?
Source: Borrowed

3 comments:

Veens said...

Wow! Your sister-in-law is very incredible.

bermudaonion said...

My son read this in Old English in college and loved it but I'm totally intimidated by it.

Nina said...

That's very cool of your sister-in-law. Maybe I should read this one too, it does sounds interesting.