Friday, November 26, 2010

Eggs

EggsEggs by Jerry Spinelli

AR Reading Level: 3.6
On the library stacks: YA Fiction

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is the story of two unlikely friends. Nine-year old David recently lost his mother in a freak accident, and 13-year old Primrose has a mother who is a crackpot. Together, David and Primrose form a bond that fills a void in their lives and they learn to move forward.

There were certain aspects of this book that I found charming and sweet. Primrose's sense of herself was refreshing and the brother/sister relationship was cute. But, I had a really hard time with the disrespectful attitude David had towards his grandmother who was trying her best in a difficult situation. I also didn't like that the children were roaming the streets alone at all hours of the night, meeting with a man who never thought to let another adult know where the kids were.

After awhile, I had to suspend my belief in the reality of the story, which made it better for me because I could enjoy the symbolism that was woven into the story. Because of that, I could see this being a book that teachers would use for book clubs in a middle grade classroom. But there are many other books by this author that I have enjoyed much more.

P.S. Isn't it interesting that the front cover is missing the title?

Also reviewed by: So Many Books, So Little TimeBook Nut ~ Becky's Book Reviews ~ Your link here? 

Book 48 of 50 for the RYOB Challenge, Book 47 of 50 for the YA Reading Challenge
Source: Purchased

4 comments:

alisonwonderland said...

I had to suspend my belief in the story too and accept the "tall-tale"-ness of it. I think the cover design is very clever!

Thanks for the link!

bermudaonion said...

The cover is fantastic! I don't usually like books were the kids are disrespectful, but for some reason, that really appeals to young readers.

Tasha said...

If you hadn't mentioned it, I don't think I would have noticed that the cover is missing its title.

Kathleen said...

Too bad this one didn't quite hit the mark!