Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The Dragonfly Pool

The Dragonfly PoolThe Dragonfly Pool by Eva Ibbotson

AR Reading Level: 6.5
On the library stacks: YA Fiction
Awards: SLJ Best Book; IBBY Honor List
Recommended for: Grades 5+

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Tally is a 12-year old girl who lives in London with her aunts and her father. On the eve of World War II, Tally's father decides to send her to a progressive boarding school in the countryside where Tally will be safe. Even though Tally initially does not want to go, she finds that she thrives in the free environment.

The school, named Delderton, is invited to participate in a multi-cultural folk dancing event in the fictitious European country of Bergania. Tally rallies a dancing troupe together, determined to visit at all costs. But with the Gestapo's ominous presence in country, things take a sad turn. Tally and her friends work together to fight for the the safety and happiness of the Berganian prince, Karil.

This book was not what I was expecting, based on the cover. But I found it to be thoroughly charming. It's a story of friendship, trust, and duty. My favorite quote in the book is,
"Duty exists and it's real. It means sharing any gift or talent that you have with people who need it. It means not being afraid or selfish or tight--but open."
This is an uplifting story that I can easily recommend. Incidentally, I found out that the author just died a few weeks ago at the age of 85. While a literary light has gone out, I do look forward to reading many more books from Ibbotson's legacy.

Also reviewed by: Book Nut ~ Books & other thoughts

Book 45 of 50 for the RYOB Challenge, Book 44 of 50 for the YA Reading Challenge, Book 6 of 6 for the What's in a Name Challenge
Source: Purchased

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh, yay! Another fan of this gem of a book. Glad you liked it.

Veens said...

I will definitely give this one a try. :) This sounds so charming :)

alisonwonderland said...

I put this one on my to-read list earlier this year, perhaps because of Melissa's review. I'll have to try to get to it soon!