Friday, November 19, 2010

Bink and Gollie

Bink and GollieBink and Gollie by Kate DiCamillo

AR Reading Level: 2.5
On the library stacks: Children's Fiction
Awards: Publishers Weekly's Best Children's Books of the Year for Fiction (2010); A New York Times Best Illustrated Children's Book for 2010

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

Bink and Gollie are unlikely best friends who live in a tree house. They love to roller skate, fueled by pancakes and peanut butter sandwiches. I'm know I'm reading too much into a kid story, but I was somewhat disturbed by these young kids who live on their own, yet have a hard time putting on socks.

The stories are cute enough, but it is really the illustrations that make this book special. I loved the simple lines and the way color is used to enhance the story. Two of my kids would give this book 5 stars, but my feelings are mixed.

Also reviewed by: Novels NowConfessions of a Book Habitue ~ A Bookshelf Monstrosity ~ Your link here?

Source: Library

3 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I think adults see things like kids living alone as odd, but I don't think kids do. The cover is adorable.

Gerbera Daisy Diaries said...

Still on HOLD at the library for us.
Agree..the cover is great!

Veens said...

You must participate in Kid Konnection feature @ Booking Mama's blog :o)
You review so many books for YA, teens, kiddos - I am sure someone would benefit from this resource that you have :)