Saturday, August 7, 2010

Sex Sleep Eat Drink Dream: A Day in the Life of Your Body

sex sleep eat drink dream: a day in the life of your bodysex sleep eat drink dream: a day in the life of your body by Jennifer Ackerman

On the library stacks: Adult Non-fiction

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

Jennifer Ackerman is a science writer who wanted to learn more about what the body goes through in a day. Written in the chronological format of a sample day, this book is a good look into the current research of the human body with some fascinating findings.

This book is full of fun facts about how our bodies work and react to daily life. I especially liked the sections dealing with the cyclical nature of our bodies--why we get the doldrums in the afternoon, what it means to be a lark or an owl, why you should get dental surgery performed in the afternoon, and how cancer patients can be treated more effectively if their medication is administered during a particular time of day.

The title of the book made reading publicly or around my kids a little uncomfortable. (And really the sex chapter was not that earth-shattering.) Certain chapters held my interest better than others, and some parts got a little too technical for me. But I anticipate that I will be referring to the things I have learned for a long time.

Thanks to BestBooks for the recommendation.

Book 70 of 100 for the 100+ Reading Challenge, Book 30 of 50 for the RYOB Challenge, Book 43 of 50 for the New Author Challenge


Source: BookMooch

3 comments:

bermudaonion said...

That does sound like it's got some useful information in it. I guess they put sex in the title as an attention getter.

Melissa said...

Hm. Interesting. Perhaps, when I'm in a sciency mood, I'll pick it up...

Trisha said...

This sounds like Mary Roach, whom I absolutely adore, so it is definitely going on my wish list. Thanks for the suggestion.