Monday, August 9, 2010

Enthusiasm

EnthusiasmEnthusiasm by Polly Shulman

AR Reading Level: 5.4
On the library stacks: YA Fiction
Recommended for: Grades 8+


My rating: 3.75 of 5 stars

Ashleigh is an enthusiast. She goes from one hobby to the next, immersing herself in whatever is her fad of the moment. Her best friend Julie usually goes along with it, even if it isn't good for their social life. But then Ashleigh becomes a fan of Jane Austen after Julie introduces her to the classic works, and together they set out to find their Mr. Darcys.

This is a great summer YA romance for fans of Jane Austen. I was a little annoyed with all of the miscommunication and frustration between the characters during the first half of the novel, especially since the book is pretty predictable. But the swoon-worthy romance really picked up in the second half and I was a sucker for all of it. Fun!

Also reviewed by: write meg! ~ There is always something to read! ~ Tiny Little Reading Room ~ Ticket to Anywhere ~ It's All About Books ~ Your link here?

Book 71 of 100 for the 100+ Reading Challenge, Book 44 of 50 for the New Author Challenge, Book 33 of 50 for the YA Reading Challenge, Book 49 of 55 for the Countdown Challenge (2006), Book 21 of 25 for the Support Your Local Library Challenge

Source: Library

3 comments:

Jeanette said...

I read this a couple of years ago. I don't honestly remember all that much. What I do remember thinking is that if I had read it as a teenager I would have had the biggest crush on the main character. (It is normal to have crushes on fictional characters. Really it is...)

Tricia said...

Jeanette: Ah yes, Parr. Swoon. :)

Becky said...

This cover looks really familiar. I'm wondering if this author also wrote another book like this??? I think I've got to go look!