Sunday, May 23, 2010

Wild Girl

Wild Girl Wild Girl by Patricia Reilly Giff

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

When I saw the cover for this book, I knew I would have to get it for my daughter. Of course, it helped that it is by Patricia Reilly Giff, so I figured it would be good!

While this book will certainly attract tween horsey girls, this book gives a nice perspective on a modern immigrant experience of a 12-year old girl. Lidie has been living with her aunt and uncle in Brazil for the last five years. After her mother died, her father and brother moved to New York where they train race horses. But they couldn't afford to send for Lidie until later. When Lidie arrives, nothing is like the happy family she had planned. There are growing pains within the family and for Lidie at school. Her experience is somewhat mirrored by a young filly named Wild Girl that arrives at the farm and with whom Lidie forms a connection.

This is a realistic book and is not overly melodramatic. Overall, this is a quick sweet read that I would recommend for girls starting around 4th grade. I think my daughter will love it!

Also reviewed by:
Have you read this one? 

Book 45 of 100 for the 100+ Reading Challenge 
Book 21 of 25 for the MG Reading Challenge 

Source: Purchased

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

I really liked this book too, and I've never been a "horsey" girl. Thanks for the link to my review!