Monday, May 17, 2010

13 Little Blue Envelopes

13 Little Blue Envelopes 13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson

Awards: YALSA Top Ten; ALA Best Book for Young Adults

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is a fun book about Ginny, a 17-year old girl who travels to Europe following her dead aunt's instructions through a series of letters. When Ginny completes the task given to her in the first letter, she can open the next letter. Her aunt sends her on a similar journey to the one she took before she died, in an effort to help Ginny experience new things, see life in a new way, and take her out of her comfort zone.

Books by Maureen Johnson just make me smile. I thought this book was funny and sweet, and yet there were some moments in the book that had surprising depth. I do wish that Ginny had been a little older taking this trip alone, and there were some moments were I thought she was downright stupid from a safety perspective. But it was a fun journey that I found highly entertaining. This would make a great summertime read for high school age and up.

Also reviewed by:
Can I add yours? 

Book 43 of 100 for the 100+ Reading Challenge, Book 21 of 50 for the RYOB Challenge, Book 22 of 50 for the YA Reading Challenge, Book 34 of 55 for the Countdown Challenge (2005) 

Source: BookMooch

2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

This does sound like fun! It's funny how our perspective on some things (safety) changes when we get to be a parent, isn't it?

Ms. Yingling said...

This is one of my favorite books! Johnson is always fun, but this one was exceptional.