Sunday, November 2, 2008

An Abundance of Katherines

An Abundance of Katherines An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

rating: 4 of 5 stars

Colin is a child prodigy who has just graduated from high school and been dumped by his 19th girlfriend named Katherine. He and his best friend Hassan decide to go on a road trip for the summer and they end up in Gutshot, Tennessee...which is where the fun begins.

This is the first book I've read by John Green, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was smart (math geeks will LOVE it), laugh-out-loud funny (the footnotes just slayed me), and concise yet meaningful. My only caveat is that I would recommend it for the older high school crowd on up because of language and thematic content. As a winner of numerous awards (Printz, Kirkus, Booklist, etc.) I can say that I think it is definitely deserving of its accolades. You can pick it up for $3.99 at B&N!

Also reviewed by:

9 comments:

Paige said...

Sounds like a fun read, thanks.

stacey @ bookthirty said...

This has been sitting in my basket of library reads for a few weeks now. I just renewed it last night. I need to get my act together and actually read it! Thanks for the review - it served as a little mental nudge. :)

Anonymous said...

I need to read this one. My name is Kathy and there was an abundance of Kathys when I was growing up - one year there were 5 of us in my class.

Melissa said...

Yeah, that's my only big complaint with John Green. He's funny, but his language... well... is a bit more than I would expect in a YA novel. Still. He's funny. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link! I can't wait to read Paper Towns!

Anonymous said...

ths is exactly something I would like to read :)

Book Lover Lisa said...

I have been wanting to read this book since I first heard of it. You have rekindled this thougth. Will have to pick it up. Thanks

Booklogged said...

Your review makes me want to read this one in spite of the language.

Heather said...

Goodness, I feel like the last person in the world to have not read this book. I have to get on that! Glad you liked it!