Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Heretic's Daughter

The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
Publication Date: September 3, 2008

This historically accurate story allows the reader to be immersed into the Carrier family's Puritan life in Massachusetts during the Salem Witch Trials. It is a hauntingly written tale and definitely made me angry, uncomfortable, and just plain sad. But, if you have an interest in this time period, this book is not to be missed.

Kathleen Kent is a descendant of Martha Carrier, who was hung for witchcraft in 1692. The story is told from the perspective of Martha's daughter, Sarah, as she looks back on her life and tries to come to terms with her familial relationships and the events that shaped her life.

I certainly appreciated Kent's desire to write the book, and it is beautifully written. I did find it slow moving at times and a little disturbing to read. But I found out after I finished reading this book that Elizabeth Sessions who marries Richard Carrier at the end of the book is my 8th Great-Grand Aunt. I'm sure many in this country have ancestors impacted by this dark period in history, and it is a story that should not be forgotten.

She also reviewed it: Corinne. Let me know if you did too!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That must have been fun to find a connection like that with the book!

Rae said...

I have been able to visit Salem, MA many, many times. You are right, it is truly a dark period of history. I'm going to look into this book. I love all of the reviews you provide!

Corinne said...

Good review friend. How cool that you're related :)

Anna said...

Sounds like a great book. I put it on my list. Interesting to find such a connection!

--Diary of an Eccentric