Wednesday, April 16, 2008

What Leaders Need to Know and Do

I am so not suggesting you need to run out and read this book. But, I did--so I'm blogging it, dang it.

One thing I find hilarious about this book, is that while Amazon itself won't sell you the book, an Amazon seller will for the measly price of $159.95 (+$3.99 shipping).

K, this book is 80 pages long--that's $2 PER PAGE!

I had to read this for my management of library and information centers class. And, I have to say that if you are really into business management theory and leadership, it is a really good summary of what makes a good leader (35 competencies to be exact). There is also a scorecard and matching DVD so you can keep track of what areas you need to develop as a leader. I could see using this if I managed a small group of people. I think it is a useful exercise to see what strengths and weaknesses people have and also, probably most importantly, to be fair about where you can improve yourself.

Anyway, if you would like to check out Dr. Ruben's book I would suggest purchasing from the publisher directly for $32. I'm off to undercut that Amazon seller. I think I'll list it for $158. ;)

2 comments:

Corinne said...

You slay me. I will NOT be rushing out to purchase this book - but way to go for reading it :)

nanamoo said...

funny girl