Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians

From the book description:

A hero with an incredible talent...for breaking things. A life-or-death mission...to rescue a bag of sand. A fearsome threat from a powerful secret network...the evil Librarians.

Alcatraz Smedry doesn't seem destined for anything but disaster. On his 13th birthday he receives a bag of sand, which is quickly stolen by the cult of evil Librarians plotting to take over the world. The sand will give the Librarians the edge they need to achieve world domination. Alcatraz must stop them!...by infiltrating the local library, armed with nothing but eyeglasses and a talent for klutziness.


I had to read this book once I saw the title. (This soon-to-be librarian does not want to be lumped into the evil category, thankyouverymuch.)

I think I had perma-grin the entire 300 pages.

Brandon Sanderson, author of the Mistborn series (which my husband is loving), has written this hilariously witty children's book, appropriate for kids starting at about age 9. Some of the humor will be appreciated more by older kids and adults (I'm sure there's stuff I missed!), but it's definitely a book for all ages. I'm also excited to see Alcatraz's adventures continue. Sanderson has five books slated for the series in all.

And yay, this means I completed The Journey for the Once Upon a Time Challenge! On to Quest the First...

4 comments:

DesLily said...

nothing like a book that makes you smile thru the whole thing! I'll look more into this book!

Booklogged said...

Haven't heard of this one, but you make it sound like a "must read."

Andi said...

I'll have to take a pass on this one for now... I just finished The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. It was about libraries, academic types, and hunting down 'Vlad the Impaler' aka Dracula. Needless to say, it was long and I need a break from the library scence.

I tried to find Miss Pettigrew in our library system. No luck. Of course because you mentioned it was a bit scandulous, I instantly wanted to read it. Maybe I'll just have to break down and buy it?

Emilia said...

Hey- have you seen this? Kinda fun.

http://www.bookcrossing.com/