Saturday, September 1, 2007

Good Harbor

I've actually delayed writing about this book for a few days so I could let it settle. And, I'm not very settled still.

I liked the premise of the book--two middle-aged women facing various health, religious, marriage, and family crises becoming friends amidst the backdrop of their shared Jewish faith in Cape Ann. I was totally into the book until about 3/4 the way through and then Diamant lost me. Of course, by then I had to finish. But, I remember thinking, "There is not enough book left to resolve these issues in a way that is going to satisfy me."

Hence, my unsettledness.

Maybe I just like things tied up too nicely. But I almost got the feeling that Diamant realized she was in over her head and figured she'd better quit the novel while she was ahead.

I still may read her most recent novel, The Last Days of Dogtown, also set on Cape Ann. But, The Red Tent, this was not.

No comments: