Thursday, August 16, 2012

Savannah

Savannah (Savannah Quartet, #1)Savannah by Eugenia Price

On the library shelves: Adult fiction
Series: Book 1 of 4 (Savannah Quartet)

My rating:  3 of 5 stars

I decided to read another chunkster this summer. Clocking in at nearly 600 pages, Savannah certainly fit the bill. This sweeping novel is set in the early 19th century and tells the story of young Mark Browning who has renounced his fortune in Philadelphia and has decided to make his own way in the town of his mother's birth. On his voyage to Savannah he meets Robert Mackay, a wealthy merchant, who takes Mark into his home and makes him one of his family.

Mark has a bit of growing up to do in his adopted city. His intentions are good but sometimes his energies are a bit misguided. He falls in love with two women, unearths buried family secrets, and discovers his true passions. He still retains a bit of his naivete, but he is certainly a charming man.

I enjoyed this novel, but it went on a little long for me. There wasn't as much substance to the characters as I would have liked and I felt like some points were rehashed far too many times. It was an entertaining read though and, despite some anachronisms, I did enjoy the historical elements. Many of the characters were real people and the events of the time such as the Marquis de Lafayette visit and the War of 1812 figured into the novel.

Also reviewed by: Becky's Book Reviews ~ Your link here?
Source: BookMooch

1 comment:

Nina said...

oh, 6oo pages? Wow, I don't know if I can do that. Well, maybe over a few days (or weeks, lol). It does sounds like an interesting read. The main character falls in love with two girls? Hmmm.. :)