Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Gideon's Gift

Gideon's GiftGideon's Gift by Karen Kingsbury

On the library stacks: Adult fiction

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Gideon is an 8-year old girl fighting leukemia. Her family is very poor and they cannot afford the transplant she needs to save her life. But Gideon is a selfless child, who only wants a Christmas miracle for someone else.

Earl is a 50-year old man, living on the streets of Portland. A tragedy involving his wife and daughter have driven him to wander alone, hoping for death. But at the ministry where Earl often gets a hot meal, he meets Gideon. And through the Christmas miracle Gideon prayed for, they impact each other's lives for the better.

This is a sweet Christmas story. It's a nice quick read this busy time of year. Unfortunately, I thought the story was written in a way that "tells" more than "shows." Right from the start the reader knows how it all turns out. But it's a good reminder about the reason for the season.

Source: Library

4 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I generally don't like predictable, but I can tolerate it this time of year when I'm so distracted. This sounds like a sweet holiday read.

Nina said...

Yep, I don't like predictable either. Well somethimes I don't mind. And this sounds pretty nice. A great holliday book. :)

Veens said...

Looks like a cute read, I won't mind it :)

Kathleen said...

Sometimes these predictable reads are heartwarming to read around the holidays.