Friday, September 24, 2010

Junie B. Jones and a Little Monkey Business

Junie B. Jones and a Little Monkey Business (Junie B. Jones, #2)Junie B. Jones and a Little Monkey Business by Barbara Park

AR Reading Level: 2.9
On the library stacks: Children's fiction
Award: ALA Notable/Best Books
Series: Book 2 of 17 (Junie B. Jones)

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

The beginning of each Junie book is similar. I have started to have my 1st grader fill in some of the blanks, such as "the B stands for _______." (Beatrice)

In this early book in the series, Junie finds out she is going to be a big sister. When the big day finally arrives, Junie stays at her grandparents house. Her grandma comes home and says that Junie's new brother is the "cutest little monkey." Junie takes this quite literally with some disastrous consequences when she shares her news at school during Show and Tell.

Junie's pretty much a brat in this one. The word "dumb" and "fat" were incredibly overused. But I did see some similarities between Ramona Quimby and Junie in this one that I thought were cute.

Book 87 of 100 for the 100+ Reading Challenge 
Source: Borrowed from teacher library

1 comment:

Veens said...

Oh i love the sound of Junie. And I can see myself buying these books for the little one here! :)