Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Masqueraders

The Masqueraders The Masqueraders by Georgette Heyer

Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
Publication date: December 1, 2009 (first published 1928)
ISBN: 9781402219504
Pages: 325
Price: $13.99

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is my fourth Georgette Heyer book and I seem to be enjoying them more and more. This one is definitely different from the other books I've read by her. This book isn't set in the Regency period, but rather earlier in the Georgian era. It is just after the 1745 Jacobite Rising (of which I ashamedly knew nothing about) when a brother and sister appear on the scene in London. They appear to be high society, but no one can say for sure who they are or where they come from. 

The couple are in fact brother and sister. However, they are escaped Jacobites and they are also cross-dressers. They both fall in love while trying to keep their true identities secret to protect themselves. When their father comes to town acting as a viscount, even Prudence and Robin (AKA Peter and Kate Merriot) can't figure out what the truth is anymore.

The book has romance, mystery, comedy, duels and even a murder. I was heartily confused at the beginning of the book as the characters and their assumed identities are introduced. But once I figured out who was who, this was great fun.

Also reviewed by:
Book 14 of 100 for the 100+ Reading Challenge
Book 5 of 12 for the Historical Fiction Challenge
Book 4 for the Georgette Heyer Reading Challenge 

Source: Publisher (thank you Danielle!)

3 comments:

Shweta said...

I love reading Heyer's books but I don't remember reading this one. Definitely going to read this as soon as possible.

bermudaonion said...

I really need to try one of Heyer's books!

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

I have seen this author around and I think I have one of her books on a shelf. I really need to read her as I have heard so many great things!