Monday, June 29, 2009

A Single Shard

A Single Shard A Single Shard by Linda Sue Park

Book 72 of 100 for the 100+ Reading Challenge
Book 12 of 50 for the New Author Challenge

Awards: Newbery Medal; SLJ Best Book; Asian/Pacific American Award for Literature; Booklist Editors' Choice; ALA Best Book for Young Adults; Parent's Guide Book Award/ Honor Book; Young Reader's Choice Award/Nominee; ALA Notable/Best Books; Children's Literature Choice; Crown/Lamplighter Nominee; YALSA Best Books for YA; NY Public Library 100 Best Titles


rating: 4 of 5 stars

Tree-ear is an orphan boy in 12th century Korea who lives under a bridge with his friend, Crane-man. As a surrogate father, Crane-man teaches Tree-ear valuable life lessons as they discuss philosophical questions. The two scrap together a meager existence, but Crane-man believes that it is beneath their dignity to beg or steal.

The town of Ch'ulp'o is known for its beautiful celadon pottery. Tree-ear likes to watch master potter Min as he throws the clay on the wheel. Eventually Min's spying is discovered and Tree-ear goes to work for Min in the hopes that one day he can become a potter himself.

This is a touching book about friendship, respect and hard work. I found it to be beautifully written, and although it is predictable, it is definitely worthy of the Newbery it earned. This book highlights important character traits and is appropriate for ages 10+. I would definitely recommend this book.

Also reviewed by:
Have I missed yours?

1 comment:

Shelley said...

I read this one recently as well and loved it. I really fell in love with the characters and it just made me feel good. I love books like that. I wish I had read it to my kids.