Monday, June 22, 2009

Here is New York

Here is New York Here is New York by E.B. White

Book 69 of 100 for the 100+ Reading Challenge

rating: 5 of 5 stars

Having lived in or near New York for over three years, I really have a love for the city as a unique piece of history and culture. E.B. White sets out to put words to the feelings about what makes New York a city that is unlike any other. And he succeeds in a way that is breathtaking and magical.

In the summer of 1949 during a heat wave, E.B. White decided to pen a long essay about the city he loved. His very thought-provoking insights forced me to draw parallels and differences between the city now and the city 60 years ago. I think if I had read this book right after September 11th, I would have been reduced to tears. As it is, there is a very eerie discussion of those who might want to destroy the city by airplane.

If you love New York, this is a must-read. But, I would suggest skipping the cynical introduction by Roger Angell (White's stepson) written in 1999. I think after 2001 this city proved that it's fundamental character and integrity not so different from the city of yesteryear.

3 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Wow! I was just in New York for the first time since I was 3 years old and just loved it. Reading about it from the viewpoint of someone 60 years ago would be fascinating.

Peter said...

Cool blog. Nice reviews.

Chantele Sedgwick said...

I want to go to New York someday! I will get my hubby to take me! I will!