Monday, July 14, 2008

The English American

The English American: A Novel The English American: A Novel by Alison Larkin

rating: 4 of 5 stars

Pippa Dunn was adopted at birth by British parents. The catch is that her biological parents are American, and at the age of 28 Pippa decides she needs to know more about her genetic roots. Of course, while she's finding out about herself, Pippa is also making some decisions about love.

I love that Larkin's personal life parallels Pippa's life. She was also raised by British parents who adopted her from America at birth. You can tell in her writing that Larkin knows what she is talking about, and the emotions are real. Having said that, there is a healthy dose of comedy thrown in on both American life and life over The Pond.

I have really been wanting some fun summer reading, and this definitely fit the bill. Alison Larkin is super funny, and I found this to be an engaging quick read.

She also reviewed it: Lesley from A Life in Books

3 comments:

Darlene said...

I've read a few good reviews on this one which is good since I have it on my nightstand from the library. Now, just to be able to get to it in between all the others. It sure does sound like a good story. Thanks for the review.

Jessica said...

I read a lot of books about people from other countries who end up coming to America to live but I don't know if I've ever heard of another story of an American child adopted by parents from another country. This sounds like a fun read and a new perspective to add to the mix.

Corinne said...

What an interesting premise. I've never heard of it :)