Sunday, September 30, 2012

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg

On the library stacks: Children's fiction
AR Reading Level: 4.7
Awards: NCTE Notable Children's Books in the Language Arts; ALA Notable/Best Books; SLJ Best Book; Newbery Medal

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Claudia Kincaid lives with her family in Connecticut. She feels under-appreciated by her family and decides to run away to the Met. She convinces her favorite brother, Jamie, to go with her because she needs his financial support. The live in the Met for about a week, bathing in the fountain and sleeping in an old English bed on display.

A suspected lost work of Michelangelo draws huge crowds to the museum each day. The kids decided to do some research to help determine if it is real or not. They decide they must know the secret of the sculpture, so they spend all their money getting to the home of Mrs. Frankweiler, who was the previous owner.

I'm not sure if I read this when I was a kid or not. But I am homeschooling my 5th grader and decided to read it with him. My son liked this book better than I did. I think he really got into the fantasy of what it would be like to run away and live in a museum. I thought the book was cute, but I found Claudia obnoxious. There are lots of resources online to help teach and test this book. My son and I had a great discussion about it after we both finished it.

Also reviewed by: Gerbera Daisy Diaries ~ Your link here?
Source: Purchased

3 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I've heard of this book but don't think I've read it - that plot doesn't sound familiar to me.

Linda said...

I loved this one as a kid. Like your son, I really got into the fantasy of living in a museum. Although I would prefer to live in a library but similar idea.

alisonwonderland said...

I read this when I was your son's age and loved it! I've still never been to the Met, but I still think about what it would be like to hide out there. This book really captured my imagination - and I have loved lots of Konigsburg's other books as well (both as a child and more recently).