Monday, February 27, 2012

Tuesdays with Morrie

Tuesdays with MorrieTuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom

AR Book Level: 5.5
On the library stacks: Adult Biography
Awards: ABBY Children's Award/Honor Book; Christopher Award

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

For those who aren't familiar with this book (or the movie) this is the story of the last days of one of Mitch Albom's professors, Morrie Schwartz, who passed away from Lou Gehrig disease. Mitch visited Morrie for 13 Tuesdays and recorded the life lessons Morrie taught.

Nothing in the book was really new or earth-shattering, but it's a book that is a good reminder about the important things in life. It's a sweet story and I was surprised at how emotional I got at the ending. I think I liked The Last Lecture better, but this is a quick read and well worth the time.

Here's my favorite quote:
Aging is not just decay, you know. It's growth. It's more than the negative that you're going to die, it's also the positive that you understand that you're going to die, and that you live a better life because of it...if you've found meaning in your life, you don't want to go back. You want to go forward. You want to see more, do more.
Source: BookMooch

2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

That does sound like an emotional book.

alisonwonderland said...

I read this one with my book club probably more than 10 years ago, and I really enjoyed it.

I've yet to read The Last Lecture, but since you think you liked that one better, I think I'll have to get to it sooner than later.