Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Mockingbird

MockingbirdMockingbird by Kathryn Erskine

On the library stacks: Children's fiction
AR Reading Level: 3.6
Awards: ALA Notable/Best Books; National Book Award
Recommended for: Grades 4+

My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars

Caitlin is a 5th grader with Asperger's. Her mother died from cancer when she was young, and her older brother has just died unexpectedly in a school shooting. Caitlin, her dad and their community need to find a measure of peace, understanding and closure. But in order to do that, Caitlin is going to have to learn to see her world in more than just absolute black and white.

The author was inspired to write this book after the shootings at Virginia Tech. Obviously when I read this book last week I could not have anticipated the events in Chardon, Ohio yesterday. My thoughts and prayers, like yours, are with all the families in that small community. This book explores the pain, sadness and the confusion of those impacted by such tragedies, but also the hope, change and growth that can come by our reactions to such horrifying experiences.

I do think between the cancer, and the Asperger's and the shootings, there were too many issues to deal with in such a short space, but it's a beautifully written book. I agree with the author that events like this affect us all. It's a book I would gladly recommend to all as well.

Also reviewed by: Thoughts of Joy ~ So Many Books, So Little Time ~ I Am A Reader, Not A Writer ~ BermudaOnion's Weblog ~ Becky's Book Reviews ~ The Bluestocking Society ~ Book Nut ~ Your link here?
Source: Purchased

3 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I loved this book too!

alisonwonderland said...

This is a beautifully written book - and I find your review to be beautifully written as well.

Thanks for the link!

Thoughts of Joy said...

Wasn't it a good one!?! I think the author did a great job getting inside the head of a child with Asperger's syndrome. Thanks for the link love, Tricia!