Thursday, December 22, 2011

Wonderstruck

WonderstruckWonderstruck by Brian Selznick

AR Reading Level: 5.4
On the library stacks: Children's Fiction
Recommended for: Ages 9+

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Mr. Selznick takes the same approach he made famous in Hugo Cabret of combining beautiful illustrations and text to tell this tale. In Wonderstruck we are told two stories--one of a lonely girl obsessed with a Broadway starlet, the other of a lonely boy obsessed with finding his father. Both go to New York City as part of their quest. And both will eventually get answers, even if they aren't necessarily the ones they set out to seek.

I adore the illustrations and imagination of Brian Selznick. Even though this was missing some of the spark I found in Hugo, I can't imagine not reading anything this man produces. I liked how the two stories intertwined, and I love the expressions on the faces of his characters. Reading this book is just a lovely experience, one that my daughter and I both enjoyed immensely.

Also reviewed by: The Book Nest ~ Thoughts of Joy ~ Bart's Bookshelf ~ Book Nut ~ Booking Mama ~ Bermudaonion's Weblog ~ At Home With Books ~ Ms. Yingling Reads ~ Your link here?
Source: Library

3 comments:

Ruby said...

I know! I love him, too. Hugo was amazing. Can't wait to see the movie.

bermudaonion said...

I loved this book but haven't read Hugo Cabret yet - it sounds like I'm in for a big treat.

Thoughts of Joy said...

I gave this one a 3.5/5. I didn't think it was as special as Hugo. We saw the movie (Hugo) the other day, and I fell asleep! While the actually movie sets were fascinating (straight from the book), the movie dragged and was boring to three of us.

Thanks for the link-love. :)