Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The Queen of Attolia

The Queen of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #2)The Queen of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner

AR Reading Level: 6.7
On the library stacks: Young adult fiction
Awards: Parent's Guide Book Award/ Honor Book; Parent's Choice Award/Honor Book; BCCB Blue Ribbon Book
Series: The Queen's Thief (Book 2 of 4)
Recommended for: Grades 6+

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I read the first book in this series (gulp!) over three years ago! I liked it, but somehow I let finishing the series slide right by me. So I was happy when Melissa at Book Nut insisted I read the next book in the series for our Blogger Book Swap challenge.

Needless to say, it took me a little bit to wrap my head around where the last book left off. We open this book with Gen quickly being caught by the merciless Queen of Attolia, who promptly chops off his hand. Recuperating back in his home kingdom, Gen is down, but he's definitely not out.

This book has a lot in the way of political intrigue and maneuvering, and for me that made the first part of the book go by somewhat slowly. But in the same style as The Thief, the action really picked up towards the end. There is also a surprising romance element that has me hooked to read the next in the series. Hopefully it won't take another 3 years to get to it!


Also reviewed by: So Many Books, So Little Time ~ Book Nut ~ Becky's Book Reviews ~ It's All About Books ~ The Bluestocking Society
Source: Gift

5 comments:

alisonwonderland said...

I really did love this one! The fourth of the series is on my must-read list for 2012. Thanks for the link love!

bermudaonion said...

I'm not sure this series is for me.

Melissa said...

Squeezing it in before the end of the year? :-D Glad you liked it; the third is completely different, and the fourth is quite wonderful. Just so you know.

Tricia said...

Nah, I finished it at the beginning of the month. But I'm squeezing in my reviews before the end of the year!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the (long ago) link love. I reread, well listened to, this whole series in the last couple of months and fell in love. While each book stands along, it really is a lovely arching series.