Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Socks

SocksSocks by Beverly Cleary

AR Reading Level: 5.2
On the library stacks: Children's fiction

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Mr. and Mrs. Bricker are a young couple who decide to adopt a cat from some kids in front of a grocery store one day. They christen him Socks and make him a member of the family. Socks is fat and spoiled and thinks life couldn't be better.

But that all changes when Mrs. Bricker's expanding tummy turns out to be a noisy red-faced baby named Charles William. Socks feels ignored, unloved, and is put on a diet. But eventually Charles William gets old enough to play with Socks, and the two become fast friends.

I've been reading this book with my 7-year old. I'm not an animal lover, but he is so I thought this would be a book he would like. This book has the odd distinction of having a high reading level but seems written for a much younger audience. So I would definitely recommend it for a read-aloud. It's a cute book, but definitely feels dated since it was written in 1973.

Source: Gift

2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Hm, I wonder if that's where the Clintons got the name for their cat?

Julie @ Read Handed said...

I read all the Beverly Cleary books I could get my hands on when I was a kid, and Socks was no exception. Not one of my favorite Cleary books, but beloved nonetheless because Cleary is the author.