Thursday, September 22, 2011

Before I Go to Sleep

Before I Go to SleepBefore I Go to Sleep by S.J. Watson

On the library stacks: Adult Fiction
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Christine Lucas is a 47-year old woman who wakes up every day not knowing where she is, who she is with, or why her body has aged. Her husband tells her that when she was 29 years old, she was out walking when a car hit her. Her memory never came back whole and she only remembers snatches of her life into her twenties. She is able to remember what she learns about herself throughout the day, but once she falls asleep, each day starts the same and she must relearn everything again the next day.

Christine has a doctor who calls her each day. He gives her a journal and tells her to write things that she remembers, hopeful that her brain will start to make connections. Over a period of weeks, things start coming back to Christine as she writes and reads her old entries. What she learns seems at odds with the things her husband tells her each morning, and she begins to mistrust everything he tells her.

This book is an unputdownable psychological thriller. I read it in just over 12 hours and I dreamt about it last night. It's like a creepy and intense version of 50 First Dates and the premise is a hook from the very first page. As a warning and disclaimer, there is a fair bit of profanity. But this is a great book to curl up with on a misty fall day. Just be prepared to ignore just about everything else going on around you until it's finished!

Also reviewed by: Lesley's Book Nook ~ Reviews by Lola ~ Linus's Blanket ~ A Work in Progress ~ Lesa's Book Critiques ~ Booking Mama ~ A Bookworm's World ~ Thoughts of Joy... ~ Your link here?
Source: Library

6 comments:

Veens said...

I am so glad you liked this because this is on my wishlist. This has got so many great reviews. Can't wait to get it for me :)

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I recently picked up the audio version from the library. Glad u enjoyed this one.

bermudaonion said...

I love a book that sucks me in like that!

Julie P. said...

I agree with you! This book was a lot of fun and really grabbed me from the first few pages.

samantha.1020 said...

I really enjoyed this one as well and stayed up late into the night reading it. I REALLY need to sit down and write my review for it though :) Glad to hear that you enjoyed it as well!

Thoughts of Joy said...

So glad you really enjoyed this one as much as I did! It really was a page turner. Thanks for the link love. :)