Sunday, November 1, 2009

The Girl on Legare Street

The Girl On Legare Street (Tradd Street) The Girl On Legare Street by Karen White

Publication date: November 3, 2009
Publisher: NAL Trade
ISBN: 0451227999
Price:$15.00
Pages: 336
Series: Book 2 of 4 (Tradd Street)


Book 12 of 55 for the Countdown Challenge (2009)

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was excited to receive an advanced copy of this book since I read the first in the series, The House on Tradd Street, earlier this year with my book club. This book continues the story of Melanie Middleton, a Charleston realtor who has a gift that allows her to see and speak with ghosts. Melanie's mother Ginette, who abandoned Melanie when she was just 7 years old, has the same gift. After nearly 33 years, Melanie's mother returns to Charleston to buy her ancestral home at 33 Legare Street. But with Ginnette's return comes a ghostly presence who has a score to settle. Melanie and Ginnette are forced to work together against this evil presence to banish it forever.

Meanwhile, handsome Jack Trenholm still wants to be a part of Melanie's life, but she has her reservations. And annoying reporter Rebecca Edgerton keeps showing up at the house trying to get information about Melanie's ancestors for a piece about famous Charlestonians. Jack and Rebecca share a past and Melanie is surprised at her reaction to their relationship.

This was a really good mystery set in one of my favorite cities. I don't usually get freaked out reading books, but this one has just the right amount of spookiness and I couldn't read it too late at night. The great romantic tension kept me turning pages just as much as the mystery. As with the first book, I did find certain parts to be a little repetitive and I couldn't really figure out why everyone kept being so accommodating to Rebecca. But I enjoyed this book even more than the first one and look forward to the next book due out in 2011. This is a fun series that I definitely recommend.

Read an excerpt here.

Source: Publicist (Thank you Joy Strazza!)

6 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I got a copy of this at SIBA and didn't realize it's the second part of a series. I will have to look for the first one so I can read them in order.

Shona said...

Sounds great. I hadn't heard of the series but will try to get hold of the first one.

Serena said...

I just received a copy of this book and cannot wait to start reading...Thanks for posting a positive review. This has lifted my expectations, hopefully not too much.

Kim said...

I love mysteries. This sounds like a lot of fun. I hope my library has them.

Anna said...

I'm so glad to hear you really enjoyed this one, as I'll be reading it next. A bit of spooky and some romantic tension sounds good to me!

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

Oh this does sound fantastic!