Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Arabella

Arabella Arabella by Georgette Heyer

Originally published: 1949
Republished: August 1, 2009
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
ISBN: 1402219466
Price: $13.99
Pages: 312

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Arabella is one of nine children, the daughter of a country vicar in rural Yorkshire. While she is certainly well-bred, she has virtually no money to her name. Her mother sends her to London to live with her godmother in the hopes that her beautiful face will capture the fancy of a wealthy bachelor who can help set Arabella and her sisters up for the rest of their lives. But Arabella's impulsive and impetuous nature, coupled with her naivete, put her in a predicament that makes her wonder whether she will ever find the right man to marry.

This Regency romance novel had humor in spades. Arabella's antics cracked me up. I also got really excited about the romance in this book. Not because I didn't know who Arabella was going to end up with. But the WAY that she ended up with him was really clever. This book has some unexpected plot twists that kept me enchanted with the story. And while the beginning of the novel went on for far too long for my taste, this is probably my favorite Heyer yet.

Also reviewed by:
Have I missed yours?

Source: Publisher (Thank you Danielle at Sourcebooks!)

7 comments:

Tasha said...

I have not read Heyer, although I've been seeing her name more and more lately. I'll keep this one in mind.

bermudaonion said...

So many people love Heyer's work. I'm not a big romance fan, so I haven't tried one yet. Maybe I will one day after all the great reviews.

Melissa said...

I'm reading Regency Buck right now... (well, I'm supposed to be, anyway). I think I have this one on my list. Maybe I'll switch. I could use some good humor right now.

Tricia said...

Melissa--I liked Regency Buck a lot, but this one had a little more sparkle for me. :)

Kim said...

I do like Heyer. I'll have to add this one to my list.

Veens said...

I read a Heyer.. and the humor is what made it work for me too! I will keep this in mind for sure!

Shona said...

I have just read one Heyer book. That being Frederica. I liked it well. Will try to read another one soon. I might pick this one up :)