Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Ender's Game

Ender's Game (Ender's Saga, Book 1) Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was my in person book club's book this month, and I'm so glad that I finally made time to read this book. It is one of my husband's favorites and I knew it was one of those books that I "should read." I really didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did though.

Ender is a third child in a time when couples are only allowed two children. But Ender's family is different--all of the children are geniuses. Seventy years before, the world won a war against the buggers who threaten to destroy the human race. And now the world feels threatened again. So, six-year old Ender is sent to Battle School in preparation for the fight.

While this Hugo and Nebula award winning book is not really my favorite genre to read, a good story is a good story no matter what. I agree wholeheartedly with the Amazon.com review:
This futuristic tale involves aliens, political discourse on the Internet, sophisticated computer games, and an orbiting battle station. Yet the reason it rings true for so many is that it is first and foremost a tale of humanity; a tale of a boy struggling to grow up into someone he can respect while living in an environment stripped of choices. Ender's Game is a must-read book for science fiction lovers, and a key conversion read for their friends who "don't read science fiction."
Also reviewed by:
Let me know if I missed yours!

9 comments:

Tasha said...

It's been a while since I've read a good science fiction novel - I'd like to read this. Although I thought I'd start with Isaac Asimov's Foundation series.

Sandra said...

I read this and enjoyed it very much despite the fact that I don't generally like anything that leans toward science fiction. This is my son's favourite novel (he's 35) so I read it to please him but I see why people like it. I enjoyed reading your review.

Anonymous said...

Good book - thanks for the review. I really enjoyed it when I read it!

Anonymous said...

This is one of my son's favorite books. He raved about it so much, I had to read it, too. I'm not much of a sci-fi fan, so for me, it was just okay.

Ana S. said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it so much! Thanks for linking to my review :)

Trixie said...

I loved this book and the 2 in the series that followed. Great review, Tricia!

Lisa R.D. said...

It was so funny that both of our book clubs read this for October! Although I probably won't continue with the series, I'm glad I read it.

SpaceyKasey said...

Classic. Don't like aliens or sci-fi, but loved this one. You hit the nail on the head.

Shosh said...

My husband bought me this book when we're still dating. I finally read it after we've been married 17 years. I wish I read it then, it's a wonderful story...but I was mostly a romantic fiction reader.