Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Good Earth

The Good Earth (Enriched Classics) The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck

rating: 5 of 5 stars

This modern classic was my book club's choice for June, and I have to say I am a huge fan. Granted, my expectations were a little tempered by the book's description, but I was hooked from the first page and enjoyed every word.

Seriously, even starting to describe the plot is probably guaranteed to turn you off, but just trust me on this one--it's really good. The Good Earth is the story of Wang Lung, a farmer in pre-revolutionary China, and his wife O-Lan. The book is the story of their lives, with the successes, sorrows, and challenges that accompany them. It's a great book for immersing yourself in a totally different time and culture and wondering if you were in that situation, what would you do, what would you think, and how would you fare.

A timeless tale. Highly recommended.

They also reviewed it: 5-Squared

7 comments:

Andi said...

Haven't read this since sophomore high school English class... I liked it then. Maybe I'll have to give it a re-read.

Darlene said...

I read this a few years ago for my book club and by reading what it was about I was sure it wasn't going to be for me. Once I started reading though I was hooked. An excellent novel!

Corinne said...

I read it in high school too and I remember being so surprised that I liked it. I really need to read it again :)

Lisa R.D. said...

I loved this book also. O-lan was such a strong character, and I longed to know more from her perspective. Pearl S. Buck is an amazing author, her story is so beautifully written.

Jeane said...

Hm, I read it in high school and thought it awful dull. Maybe I should try it again.

Anna said...

This book has been on my list for years, but I still haven't read it. I probably should do that already. Thanks for the review.

Amanda said...

My online book group reviewed this book - http://5-squared.blogspot.com

Amanda