Friday, December 21, 2012

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow

The Legend of Sleepy HollowThe Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving

On the library stacks: Children's fiction and YA Classics
AR Reading Level: 11.0

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

My son and I read this out loud to each other during Halloween. I had never read it before and found it to be quite delightful. We bought a version with a lot of illustrations and my son really enjoyed it.

I knew this book involved Ichabod Crane and the Headless Horseman, but what I didn't realize is that there is a love story of sorts involved. Ichabod, a school teacher in town, tries desperately to win the hand of a wealthy farmer's daughter, Katrina Van Tassel. Unfortunately for him, the match is not to be.

This book, first published in 1820, has very difficult vocabulary words for kids. I found I had to concentrate quite hard when my son was reading and every once in awhile we had to stop and summarize what was going on. Having a Kindle version we could use to quickly access the dictionary was very helpful. This is a great children's book for advanced readers.

Source: Kindle purchase

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

I never really knew this story either. It sounds interesting!