Saturday, September 8, 2012

Daddy-Long-Legs

Daddy Long LegsDaddy Long Legs by Jean Webster

On the library stacks: Children's and Adult Fiction (!)
AR Reading Level: 6.1
Interest level: Grades 9+

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Judy Abbott is an orphan girl about to be released into the world. At the last minute, a wealthy trustee of the orphanage offers to pay for her college education, despite that fact that she is a girl. His only conditions are that he remain anonymous and that she update him periodically about her studies. Judy calls him "Daddy-Long-Legs" because she has only seen his shadow, but she would really like to figure out who he is.

This classic epistolary novel is really a treat. I loved Judy and her spunk. Most of the criticism I have encountered about this book is that it is a little weird, but I didn't think it was anymore creepy than cousins getting together in Jane Austen's novels. It IS a 100 year old book! Yes, I figured out who Daddy-Long-Legs was pretty early on, but it didn't lessen my enjoyment of this delightful little book.

Here are some favorite bits:

It isn't the big troubles in life that require character. Anybody can rise to a crisis and face a crushing tragedy with courage, but to meet the petty hazards of the day with a laugh--I really think that requires spirit. 

It's true, you know. The world is full of happiness, and plenty to go around, if you are only willing to take the kind that comes your way. The whole secret is in being pliable.

On visiting New York:
But aren't the streets entertaining? And the people? And the shops? I never saw such lovely things as there are in the windows. It makes you want to devote your life to wearing clothes.

Also reviewed by: Puss Reboots ~ Lesa's Book Critiques ~ Giving Reading a Chance!! ~ things mean a lot ~ Your link here?
Source: BookMooch

5 comments:

Thoughts of Joy said...

I added this to my TBR list. Thanks!

Nina said...

Sounds really great! I haven't heard of this classic before! And that title has me wondering...

RAnn said...

This was a childhood favorite of mine. I don't remember who DLL was though

Lisa said...

Such a great read--perfect escape! Thank you for the recommendation. Now I'm on the hunt for an actual copy, preferably with Judy's drawings!

pussreboots said...

Thank you for the link to my review.