Monday, August 22, 2011

Quest for a Maid

Quest for a MaidQuest for a Maid by Frances Mary Hendry

AR Reading Level: 5.3
On the library stacks: Juvenile fiction
Awards: BCCB Blue Ribbon Book; British Fantasy Award
Recommended for: Grades 6+

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

It is the late 13th century, and the ruling class of Scotland is engaged in a power struggle.

Meg, the daughter of a shipwright, was raised by her beautiful sister Inge, known throughout the land as a great healer. When Meg is 9-years old, she overhears her sister using witchcraft in order to kill the King of Scotland. 

Young Meg is betrothed to Sir Patrick Spens' son, and she moves to his home to be raised by his mother. Once she becomes a young woman, Meg must embark on a journey to Norway to retrieve the rightful heir to the Scottish throne, fighting against the events that her sister put in motion.

This book is a blend of fantasy and historical fiction and is beautifully written. The author had clearly done her research and the author's note at the beginning and the glossary were helpful. I also did some research on my own because this book really made me curious as to what what was fact and what liberties were taken by the author. It was a little slow-going for me at the beginning, but the adventure in the second half really helped this book to shine.


Source: BookMooch

2 comments:

Corinne said...

I agree! It made me interested in the history, too :) Glad you liked it!

bermudaonion said...

I love books that make me curious enough to do some research on my own. This one sounds like a winner!